Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: Enthusiastic YES to Schiit Kara. Topping Pre90 not so much....

> While the Topping Pre90+Ext90 were pretty good on sonics

Pretty good on sonics is a significant understatement. In my opinion, the Topping Pre90 is the closest thing to neutrality and transparency that I've ever heard. In fact, according to Kal's Stereoplile review, he bought three of them to use as volume controls in his 5.1 home theater system because they sounded so good.

With regard to the remote control, the only problem I've encountered is that of aiming accuracy from a distance. My Topping Pre90 has no other quirkiness with its remote control besides aiming accuracy. I haven't encountered any problems with commands.

I recommended the Topping Pre90 to a person who said he needed a loner preamp to use while looking for another more expensive preamp. Therefore, I thought the $599 version of the Topping Pre90 would serve that function. On the other hand, if he decided to keep the Topping because of its amazingly transparent and neutral sound quality, then he could invest in the $249 extension to provide additional inputs.

I think you're being over critical of the Topping's remote control and considerably under appreciative of the Pre90's exceptional sound quality.

Happy listening!

Edits: 04/29/24

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.